The cornerstone for the original church was set in 1863 but construction was delayed another decade due to the Civil War and reconstruction. Father Jean Baptiste Mouton, a French priest who was trained in architecture, designed the original church in Gothic style. The parish researched and planned the historic renovations for almost 10 years. The desire to capture much of its original decorative scheme and preserve its Jacoby stained glass windows fueled efforts to have the church declared an historic building on the National Register. Parishioners poured over old documents and photographs of the interior of the church in order to preserve the design as closely as possible to the early decorative scheme. The newly restored church is used as a daily Mass chapel, wedding and other special celebrations.