Friendship Cemetery

Founded in 1849, Friendship Cemetery was the site of the first Decoration Day in 1866, which led to the modern Memorial Day observance. Poignant images of the mass loss of life during the Civil War are evident in Friendship Cemetery. Rows and rows of marble stones marking the final resting place of 2,194 Confederate soldiers … Continued

Lowndes County Courthouse (c. 1847)

The Mississippi Legislature met here after Jackson, the state capital, fell to the Union during the Civil War. It was designed by local architect James Lull, and remodeled by R.H. Hunt in 1905.

Whitehall (c. 1843)

Built in 1843 by James Walton Harris, Whitehall was originally designed as a two-story Greek Revival townhouse. The stately mansion exhibits six square, paneled columns at the edge of a wooden porch. The banisters bordering the porch consist of identically-milled hardwood balusters. Inside the home, heart-pine floors and handsome woodwork provide the background for the … Continued

Stephen D. Lee Home & Museum (c. 1847)

Once the home of CSA Gen. Stephen D. Lee, the home was restored in 1960 by the Historical Society and the Society for Preservation of Antiques. It is now houses the Florence McLeod Hazard Museum exhibiting Civil War collections and artifacts. It is featured in Columbus’ Annual Spring Pilgrimage. During the remainder of the year, … Continued

Union Academy

Established in 1877.  As indicated by the state historic marker on Ninth Avenue South, the original Union Academy was located at the site of a former Confederate Arsenal just south of the railroad tracks.

Request or View a Visitor's Guide